[Weekend Wrap-Up] Ghostbusters, Elvira, And Paranormal Activity
We now return to our regularly scheduled Weekend Wrap-Ups. It’s October, so you can expect paranormal activity, ghosts and a whole lot of Metroid Dread.
- Empire Magazine recently shared some exclusive new photos from Ghostbusters: Afterlife. There’s another shot of the new crew, but the highlight here is another glimpse of Muncher. Looks like he’s in a bad mood. The magazine’s cover is also pretty cool — the Stay Puft marshmallow man is front and center, with the OG Ghostbusters making an appearance.
- Metroid fans might be interested to know that Metroid Dread has taken the top spot on Amazon’s Video Games Best Sellers list for actual games (not counting PSN/Xbox and Roblox cards). That makes it #6 overall. Unfortunately, it’s been trading places with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. But Dread is definitely looking to be a hit for Nintendo.
- Bloober Team have teased a new Layers of Fear game. “Layers of Fear was a breakthrough project for us,” they write, “Now we return to this universe.” The teaser was created in Unreal Engine 5, and apparently contains hidden clues about the new project.
- There’s a rumor floating around that Konami intends to reboot the Castlevania series. VGC has the scoop — an anonymous source told them that the publisher wants to “bring back its biggest brands,” and that includes making a new Castlevania game, viewed as a reimagining of the franchise. I guess we’ll see how that turns out.
- Elvira is teaming up with Netflix this year for their #NetflixandChills celebration. Here’s a trailer, in which ‘Dr. Elvira’ outlines how watching horror and thrillers is actually very good for you. Meanwhile, NECA have created a brand new “fiendishly fantastic” Elvira figure, celebrating 40 years of the Mistress of the Dark.
- We still don’t have a U.S. release date, but Earth Defense Force 6 has been delayed until 2022 in Japan, according to Famitsu. We do, however, have confirmation that the game will release on PS4 & PS5.
- Finally, it’s been a busy month, and believe it or not I completely missed the release of the first teaser for Paranormal Activity: Next Of Kin. The film is the seventh installment in the Paranormal Activity franchise, and from the looks of it, things are getting pretty wild with giant mysterious holes and possibly a few witches. Next Of Kin will premiere October 29 on Paramount+.